Skip to content
Back to Blog

Featured Writer: Holly Richardson

At Write the World, our hope is that all of you find the strength and support necessary to thrive as writers and as people. And if you end up pursuing a degree in a writing related field, well, that’s just a bonus! Canadian writer Holly Richardson, a second year English major, is committed to making her last year on Write the World a memorable one. In her Q&A, Holly offers advice on pursuing English at the university level and discusses her goals for carving out a career in the writing industry.

image

In your profile you write, “Because my nineteenth birthday is coming up, I won’t be here much longer, and I’m trying to make the most of the time I have left on the site.” What do you hope to gain from the rest of your time on Write the World? What have you gained thus far?

Write the World has helped me gain confidence as a writer from other young writers’ comments and peer reviews. Compared to other sites I have used to interact with other writers, Write the World feels like a closer community where people truly care about helping one another as writers. I am hoping to both contribute to this community as well as receive more feedback in the time I have left.

You’re a second year college student studying English. What’s different about studying English at the university level?

English at the college level is much more open than high school English courses; instructors urge you to pick your own topics to write on and the essay format is looser giving you more room to argue your position on a subject. In addition, choosing specific English courses such as Detective Fiction or Children’s Literature allows students to focus on their interests. And finally, college instructors provide feedback to help students improve as much as possible, so my writing has benefited greatly from that.

image

What advice do you have for young writers who are interested in pursuing English beyond high school?

First of all, I would say that an English degree does not lead to the most jobs. However, if you want to write professionally, or want to pursue a career in an English-related field, then it is a great way to start. Once you enroll, it is important to prioritize your classes so you get instruction in the type of writing you’d most like to explore. If you write poetry, be sure to enroll in a poetry workshop, and so on. Just don’t expect too much course diversity until your second year.

Where do you see your writing taking you in the future?

This is a tough question because I am just starting to learn how to develop my writing. I would, however, like to publish a book with a fairly large publishing company. I have a long way to go, but I am willing to work for it. I am especially interested in writing to help people struggling with mental illnesses—whether that means helping people find refuge in fiction, or to provide support through nonfiction self-help books.

What is your hometown of Red Deer, Alberta, Canada like this time of year?

Around the holiday season, the stores are full of people and everywhere is busy. Even eating out on a weekday is difficult. The trees downtown are wrapped in colored lights, and the grass is covered in fluffy snow. Usually, it is much colder than this, but we’re lucky this year, and it’s hardly been below -10℃. It gets dark very early (about 5 pm), but it can be nice because I get to see the sun set almost every night, and the neighborhood Christmas lights turn on earlier.


About Holly

My name is Holly Richardson, and I’m from the city of Red Deer in Alberta, Canada. I am 18 years old and currently in my second year of college earning a Bachelor of Arts degree in English. Writing has had a big impact on my life since middle school, when I first started to write stories. I’m so passionate about writing that I even switched my major to pursue it. Besides writing, my interests include music, films, and baking. When I’m not too busy with school work, I mostly spend my time with my fiancé and the friends I have made at my church. No matter what, I still find time to work on any story ideas I have floating around, or I at least jot down any ideas I may have for a new one. It can take me a long time to be happy with a story or poem, but the important thing is to keep writing. When it comes down to it, I’m a quirky college student hoping to touch others with words.



Share this post: