Skip to content
Back to Blog

6 Tips for Writer’s Block from Write the World Writers

For our April Writer’s Q&A, typewriter06 (Canada) asked the following: 

When you’re in the middle of writing a piece and get writer’s block, how do you get past it?

We’ve rounded up a range of your responses, from the practical to the inventive to the philosophical, because, as AveryTheExplodey (US) notes, writer’s block is “a very general name for a wide range of problems.”

So no matter which particular flavor of writer’s block you’re grappling with, one of the tips below is sure to help you break free!

1. Write it Out

I crank out the words on my keyboard in an untitled free writing piece until I have fully exhausted my inspiration.  - Mindfruit (US)

I make [my characters] have philosophical conversations with each other. Dialogue is a fun engaging way to keep your pen moving.  - Yellow Sweater (US)

I work on another piece. Most times, I come up with ideas to get past my writer’s block, and then I return to that piece.  - AllisonHRedwood (Japan)

Sometimes there’s a specific problem, plot-wise or character-wise, that I have to deal with before I can start writing again. When that happens, I start writing about my writing (welcome to Obsession Land, population me), and sooner or later I get an answer.  - AveryTheExplodey (US)

2. Switch it Up

I listen to music to create scenes in my mind that I pen or type down. Sometimes, inspiration comes when doing the dishes, or when I’m the bathroom (weird, I know).  - Pearl_Murpy (Nigeria)

When I am in the middle of writing a piece and get writer’s block, the best way I come up with more ideas is by changing workspace. Your workspace is a huge contribution to your writing piece and the aesthetic around you can influence your piece and give you inspiration for more ideas.  - Aniha Jain (US)

Whenever I find myself stuck on the same scene for any length of time, I often set it aside and do something else creative, be it drawing, painting, or something else, or read a book. After giving it a good break, I’ll come back to it, and I often can overcome writers’ block.  - Ashton_Thorne (US)

I go walk the dog, read a book, or practice guitar. If that doesn’t help, I give up for a few days. Usually, once I come back from my hiatus, I can write again with some amount of ease.  - WhoTalksLikeMe (US)

3. Give It a Rest

I often just put the writing away. I’ll take it out again the next day (or next week, or longer…) and if I still don’t know what to write, I sit/lie there until I’ve got words to write. They come eventually.  - KanjiKat (Canada)

I stop and take a break. I might read other writings, look over what I’ve already written, or stop the work and write a word-vomit poem to try to get the words flowing again.  - Itzelle (US)

I just pause and wait until it ends.  - Taieba Tabassum (Bangladesh)

4. Change Your Mindset

Writer’s block tends to occur more when you’re writing with the wrong intentions. By this, I mean if you’re not writing for yourself (regardless of who will see it/if it’s graded), you will put more pressure on yourself. Remember that your opinion comes first, and write with that in mind.  -  SunV (India)

If you make writing a chore—for example you tell yourself you have to write every morning at 5 a.m.—it’s not going to come naturally because you’re forcing the words out. For me, I have to take the pressure off myself and remind myself that there isn’t a timeline (unless, of course, there is) and that I only need to write when I feel like it.  - Helena (Australia)

I remind myself that it’s just a rough draft, and I’m allowed to make it as terrible as I want—I can always come back later. What matters is that I write it down.  - Ember207 (US)

5. Phone a Friend

I text my friend and we do a speed round of about 15 minutes where we both write nonstop and see who can write the most words.  - SamRose (US)

6. Plan Ahead

I write out the full outline (plot, characters) before I write the book. Writing while not really knowing where the story is going to go often leads to writer’s block for me, but if you’ve already got clear instructions of what to write next, all you need to do is write it. - Mespotz (US)



Share this post: