Write the World Blog

Personal Narrative Competition Winners Announced 2018

Written by Admin | Aug 31, 2018 2:13:00 PM

This August, we challenged you to reflect on an experience from your own life as part of our Personal Narrative Competition. We had hundreds of  young writers put their true stories into print, with the results as diverse and interesting as the Write the World members themselves. Today, we’re pleased to share which particular pieces grabbed the attention of author and guest judge Wesley Leon Aroozoo. Here are Wesley’s picks for Best Entry, Runner Up, and Best Peer Review:

BEST ENTRY
“Finding Truth on the Lost Coast” by sincerelyclaire (United States)

Poetic, meditative and captivating, ‘Finding Truth on the Lost Coast’ guides the reader through a rhythmic flow that is well paced with beats that comfort and surprise. The coastal landscape described is immersive and breath-taking as the author showcases not only a keen eye on exploring details but how these minor yet important details affect the main character. The story is heartfelt as it delivers not only an engaging story but one that provides an emotional message for the reader to ponder on.

I pick ‘Finding Truth on the Lost Coast’ as the winning entry for its charm—it’s a story that will linger in your heart long after reading. I look forward to reading more works from the up and coming author and urge her to keep on writing.

RUNNER UP
“Second Nature” by Alyssa W (Canada)

‘Second Nature’ is creatively relentless as it captivates the reader’s attention from the get-go, before treading carefully through heart-stopping moments to an exhilarating ending. The author showcases the ability to write a gripping story that manages to look at the lighter side of things, uncovering the bits of hilarity in the seriousness of the topic discussed. While thought-provoking, ‘Second Nature’ is still a pleasure to read—allowing the reader a comfortable space to explore the heart of the story’s message.

I pick ‘Second Nature’ as Runner-Up and am excited to read the future works by the author. She is a natural storyteller who understands what makes a compelling tale.

BEST PEER REVIEW
KR’s (United States) review of “Split Ends” by annie_cheng

A well written review with a strong amount of on-point analysis and helpful suggestions for the writer. KR examines the writing well and is able to deliver an easy to understand review that is focused, to the point, and fair.

KR delivers a good balance of information and also shares their personality through the review, making the feedback all the more engaging. There were many great reviews to consider, but the review of “Split Ends” by KR stands out and wins Best Peer Review.