Write the World Blog

Novel Writing Winners 2018 Announced

Written by Admin | Nov 30, 2018 3:13:00 PM

This November, many of you joined  thousands of people around the world in the novel pursuit of writing an entire book in a month. Whilst for others, the past few weeks have been spent drafting amazing excerpts specifically for our Novel Writing Competition. No matter which route you took to get here, we’re just happy you made it! Today, we’re wrapping up this whirlwind of a month by sharing the winners for Best Entry, Runner Up and Best Peer Review. Read on for YA author and guest judge Annabel Monaghan’s commentary on the top pieces.

BEST ENTRY
“Köy” by Jaylynn Barth

My choice for the winner of this month’s competition is Köy by Jaylynn Barth. This piece engaged me from the beginning because of the brilliant use of descriptive and symbolic language. The ceremonial red that surrounded her throughout felt ominous and as if it signaled danger. The veil itself was personified both as a protector that defined “the expanse of space that was hers, only hers” and as a trap: “tightening around her head like a vice.” I found it remarkable that while Melek sat passive for most of this piece, the reader could feel her growing panic and cheered for her escape. By the time she removes her veil, we know that her life is changed forever. This is exceptionally well done.

RUNNER UP
“Second Choices” by Norah

I have selected Second Choices by Norah as the runner up. Norah has achieved something quite challenging here – she has taken us into a world of her creation and has left out just enough information to make us beg for more. What’s on the test? What’s on the island? Why would you leave some of the children behind? What is the Department of Oracles? We are starving for information and she is doling out crumbs at exactly the right pace to keep us turning the pages. I found the writing to be beautifully descriptive and the story to be compelling.

BEST PEER REVIEW
Crescent’s review of “Hike and Seek”

My favorite peer review was Crescent’s review of “Hide and Seek” by Early Pearl. I thought that the review itself was thoughtful and in-depth. In particular, I liked the way the reviewer asked the writer questions rather than giving too many suggestions. When we say “What was Susie’s motivation in burning the house down?” then the writer knows what to focus on in their next draft. I found this review to be thorough, encouraging and full of great directional advice.