Write the World Blog

Letter Writing Winners Announced 2020

Written by Admin | Jul 31, 2020 2:13:00 PM

Whether they were written to a frontline worker, racial justice protestor, future child, or xenophobia, submissions to our Letter Writing competition addressed a breadth of people and topics, shedding insight into the unique nature of our current moment around the world, and offering a peek at how this period in time might be preserved—how people might look back on 2020 in a scrapbook or history class, for example, and reflect on a generation past. Below, we share Guest Judge Brother Richard Hendrick’s top picks and peer reviews from the competition. May they inspire you to put pen to paper, and postage stamp to envelope!

Editor’s Note: We were blown away by the quality and depth of your letters this month! There were many, many, brilliant submissions, and it was an incredibly difficult task for us to select the shortlist. Brother Richard Hendrick also found the selection process challenging! From Brother Richard: “I really enjoyed reading the pieces and was moved several times at the depth of the emotional expression and power of all that you sent me. I wanted to be able to award every one of them a prize!” A big congratulations to everyone who entered, and keep writing—we can’t wait to see your Flash Fiction entries (opens Monday, August 3rd). 

Winner: To the only black person in the room, hannahthepoet, Canada

I found this to be a very powerful piece of writing, so much so that it seemed to stand head and shoulders over the other letters it was my privilege to read.

There is a fire behind these words that you can sense from the opening lines, a fire that both illumines and scorches the reader with the touch of its truth. It is obvious that these are words that the writer passionately wants to communicate to others but perhaps more importantly needs to hear addressed to their own heart. This is a piece that deserves to be read out loud to the widest audience, its rhythms and cadence have a percussive feel, there is a military drum playing behind the voice of the writer with each word and image laid down as precisely as a surgeon lays out their instruments of healing. The author’s voice is mature and solid with a clear vision for what they want to say. It reminds me that a piece of writing as seemingly simple as a letter has the power to move hearts, heal souls and challenge society. For this reason it is my winner.

Runner Up: Reopening Notice, Tina Huang, US

I loved this letter! The writer brings one on a journey with lots of unexpected twists and turns, never quite going where one expects. On the surface it is a letter trying to convey simple information to a beloved customer but it hints at so much more. The level of interest in the customer’s life betrays a deep feeling on their behalf by the mysterious writer and there are moments when a slightly gothic tone is betrayed, and a slight chill settles in the mind of the reader at the edgy responses to being ignored and overlooked. Who is this employee? Why are they writing to this one customer? What are all of these missed encounters about? The letter left me wanting to know more. In fact I’d love to see the writer expand this into a novel or short story. For these reasons I choose this piece as the runner up.

Selection of Best Peer Review: Hope Went to Heaven, Reviewed by birthdaycandles, Ireland

I particularly enjoyed the letter and the review together in this one. I felt that the reviewer grasped the essence of the letter and the intimate conversation that was taking place between the boy Charlie and his Gram around the meaning of life and death, hope and despair. The reviewer’s comments and questions are all pertinent and made in the sincere hope of assisting the writer to greater heights of expression, while not forgetting the technical aspects of the genre either. Suggestions for possible places or points of expansion are astute and clear while still allowing the writer to see these as only possibilities to be looked at rather than directions to be followed. I was very happy to see the reviewer end their examination of the piece in a warm and encouraging way.

Shortlisted Pieces:

Dear books i read as a child, Lina02, US
A Sanctuary of Sound, Ian594, US
You smelled of cakes and home, asimic, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Amidst a global pandemic, what does sanuginity mean to you?, Fernweh, India
The Legend of Quay Street, PJ, New Zealand
To My Father’s Mistress, staranise, US