Write the World Blog

How to Be a Writer while Pursuing a Different Career

Written by Admin | Oct 4, 2024 4:19:24 PM

If you’re like me, writing isn’t your only passion. As a software engineer, I spend my days immersed in code, problem-solving, and optimizing systems. It’s a world of logic and structure, where creativity manifests in designing efficient algorithms and crafting clean, elegant solutions. But outside of work, I have a different passion: writing. Whether it’s crafting a short story, jotting down a poem, or journaling about my thoughts, creative writing offers a much-needed outlet for self-expression.

Balancing these two worlds—writing with a career seemingly disconnected from the arts—can be challenging, but it’s not impossible. Here’s how I’ve managed to keep writing in my life while pursuing a career in software engineering.

  1. Set Aside Time for Writing

With a busy schedule full of deadlines and sprints, it can be hard to find time for anything else. That’s why I make a point to set aside specific times for writing. For me, it’s often early in the morning before I dive into my workday, or late at night when the world is quiet. These moments are sacred—time I carve out just for myself and my creative pursuits. Even if it’s just 15 minutes, it helps me stay connected to my writing and keep the words flowing.

  1. Incorporate Writing into Your Job

As a software engineer, writing isn’t just about code. I’ve found ways to incorporate my love for writing into my work as well. For instance, I volunteer to write technical documentation and create internal guides. This not only keeps my writing skills sharp but also allows me to blend my technical expertise with my creative side. Writing clear, concise documentation is an art form in itself, and it’s satisfying to know that my words are helping others understand complex concepts.

  1. Join a Writing Group or Community

Writing can be a solitary activity, especially when you’re balancing it with a demanding job. That’s why I joined a writing group that I found as a Write the World alumni. It’s a space where I can share my work, receive feedback, and connect with others who share my passion for storytelling. The camaraderie and encouragement I’ve found in this group have been invaluable. It’s also a great way to stay motivated and push myself to keep writing, even when work gets hectic.

  1. Use Writing as a Creative Outlet

After a long day of coding and thinking of solutions to engineering problems, I sometimes feel drained, but writing provides a different kind of mental stimulation. I let myself write without any pressure or expectations—sometimes it’s a journal entry, other times it’s a scene for a story I’m working on. The act of writing helps me unwind and process my thoughts in a way that’s different from the logical problem-solving I do at work. It’s a way to tap into a different part of my brain and remind myself why I love writing in the first place.

  1. Set Small, Achievable Goals

As a software engineer, I’m used to breaking down large projects into manageable tasks. (Coincidentally enough, we call the big ones “epics” and the small ones “stories”.) I apply the same approach to my writing. Instead of aiming to finish a novel in a month, I set smaller, achievable goals, like writing a short story every few weeks or drafting a poem each weekend. These small wins keep me motivated and give me a sense of accomplishment, even when my day job takes up most of my time.

  1. Seek Out Inspiration Everywhere

Inspiration for writing often comes from unexpected places. As a software engineer, I’m constantly learning new things, whether it’s a new programming language or a different way to approach a problem. These experiences can spark creative ideas for my writing. I might find inspiration in the structure of a complex algorithm or the collaborative nature of a coding project. I keep a notebook handy to jot down any ideas that come to me throughout the day, so I can explore them later in my writing.

  1. Balance Passion with Practicality

While I’m passionate about writing, I’ve learned to balance it with the demands of my career. There are times when work takes precedence, and that’s okay. Writing should be something that brings joy and fulfillment, not stress. I’ve accepted that there will be periods when I write less, but that doesn’t mean I’m any less of a writer. My passion for writing is a part of who I am, and I know it will always be there, even if I’m not writing every day.

In the end, keeping writing in your life is about making it a priority, even when your career isn’t directly related to the arts. By integrating writing into your routine, seeking out opportunities, and finding joy in the process, you can nurture your passion and keep the words flowing, no matter where your professional journey takes you.

About the Author:

Jennifer Wang is a software engineer with degrees in Computer Science and Financial Economics from Columbia University. With a passion for writing that started at age 11, she balances her technical career with all of her creative pursuits. In her writing, she often incorporates elements of East Asian culture, using storytelling as a way to explore and connect with her heritage. While her career is rooted in STEM, writing remains a constant and essential part of her life.