Write the World Blog

Fantasy Writing Competition 2019 Winners Announced

Written by Admin | Jun 28, 2019 2:13:00 PM

When we interviewed YA Author Alexandra Sheppard about how to write an out-of-this-world short story, she challenged writers to think beyond the bounds of witches and warlocks and to broaden our notion of what constitutes fantasy so that we could create our own unique worlds. The Write the World community delivered; we were transported to new lands, and introduced to an array of dazzling characters—from the  feisty Oma at the Red Dragon Cafe to the enigmatic Bird in “Words They Claimed”. Today, Alexandra highlights which pieces earned the prizes for Best Entry, Runner Up and Best Peer Review.

BEST ENTRY
“Words They Claimed” by kira.prism

I loved this story - it had me captivated from the first paragraph.

The writer effectively uses the short story form to create a fulfilling and satisfying relationship arc between Changeling and Bird, the two characters in the story. We know just enough about Changeling and Bird to know who they are, what they want and what they need. But this is done with a light touch; the story never feels dense or over-written. I especially loved the streaks of magical realism throughout—words can be physically touched and the swoop of birds can be used for divining the future. It’s beautifully done, and I would love to read more set in this strange yet magical world. 

RUNNER-UP
“The Dragon, The Grandmother and The Golden Egg” by szhu1357

There’s much to love about this quirky, contemporary take on the traditional hero’s journey tale. The protagonist Oma is brave, level-headed and wouldn’t dream of letting arthritis hold her back. 

The prose is spare and gets straight to the heart of the action—exactly what you want from a short adventure story. The world-building is minimal yet effective (take me to The Red Dragon Cafe, please!) and the dialogue is snappy and well-paced. There is much that could be explored in this exciting, vibrant world and I look forward to reading more about it one day.

BEST PEER REVIEW
aharry01’s review of “Never Let You Go” by twilightowl

I thought this reviewer struck the perfect balance between encouraging and critical, constructive feedback. They also ask pertinent questions about details large and small, ranging from the structure of the piece to smaller aspects such as over-use of pronouns—this shows a keen eye and strong attention to detail. 

I also liked that the reviewer gave their own suggestions on how the author could improve the piece. Though the writer is not obliged to follow these suggestions, it indicates a high level of thoughtfulness and engagement with the piece. Both the author and reviewer did a fantastic job!